i have wanted a succulent garden for quite some time now but never got around to going to lowe’s to pick them out and get the supplies. well, over the weekend i ran into cvs with my sister and guess what they had on sale next to the cash register? succulents! it was fate! so i grab a few (three for me and one for nephew who had to have one) and started thinking about where i could plant them. i thought this glass container i already had would be perfect for my new little succulents. now i have my cute little indoor garden to admire every day!
- arrangement of succulents
- glass container with wide opening (a wide opening is recommended to prevent accumulation of moisture)
- cactus mix soil or a fast-draining soil that retains little moisture
place a 2-inch layer of gravel/stone on the bottom of container; this provides water drainage for the soil.
place a layer of soil over the gravel/stones.
remove plants from temporary pots and place roots in soil.
add a small amount more of soil around the plants to stabilize them.
now place your succulents in a sunny room and enjoy!
here are a few tips on caring for your succulents:
- give the terrarium direct sunlight every day for at least five or six hours
- water the terrarium every two weeks after watering, there should not be more than an inch of water visible in the gravel/stone at the bottom
- fertilize only in the summer (may through september)
- use half the fertilizer indicated on the box’s instructions every other watering